Friday, July 18, 2008

Chapter 2 - Shanghai

After sleeping waaay into the day and eating up preacious tourism-time we got up and had breakfast at the hostel. Btw. we stayed at Koala International Youth Hostel, www.hotels.lonelyplanet.com/hotel/Shanghai-Koala-International-Youth-Hostel-P1007947.html
Which was allright, but we were a bit unlucky since they were doing some construction right next door. Also it was a bit far from downtown, but taking a cap is not too expensive and the subway is even less expensive. However,the employees spoke english well and the neighbourhood was interesting, and a bit more "chinese" than downtown Shanghai.

I must say, Shanghai is great! I really loved this city, even though I was only here for a few days I really fell in love with both the people and the city itself. I prefer not to write about the touristy stuff but I'll mention it real quick. The Bund, which is the downtown riverbend, is a must. It gives you a view of the city which is nice to have from the onset off. The Yuyuan (Garden) in Old Shanghai was also fantastic. Both places was cool, but a bit too touristy in the long run. So to liven it up we bought some small fish locked up in a plastic key-chain cage, (btw. What woman, which obviously is their target-group, would ever buy a locked-up fish to have on their key chain?) and set them free into the fish pond. Only to see them easten by a bigger fish:) Ethical dilemma: What is better? To leave a fish to die in its plastic-cage, or let it free to most likely be eaten by a bigger fish?

The most fun in Shanghai though, is walking the streets randomly. Finding small cafès and bars, looking at people and their homes. And if you know Chinese, asking directions:) It gives you a great oppurtunity to talk to people. They are usually so suprised to hear a Waiguoren(foreigner) speaking their language that they welcome a chat. One of my days in Shanghai I couldn't sleep so I got up at 5 am and went outside. This was my best experience in China so far. Seeing the city come alive:) Especially all the nice old people in the park doing Taiji or walking backwards(?!?) for exercize. I also found some streetmarkets and and interesting stores in one of which I bought my new toy, an electronic dictionary:) A good one should cost around 1400-1800 Yuan, a perfectly fine one around 800-1000 Yuan, as the consuming Norwegian that I am is mine of course of the former kind.

Since Shanghai is such a business hot-spot there are people of all kinds here. Foreigners, people from other places in China and so one. Consequently, meeting people is no problem. Find a bar with the kind of people you want to meet, and go in. Buying something also tends to help the bonding-process. At least for our part, this worked quite well:)

Finding our way to Nanjing on our last day we realiced that we had made two major mistakes. The first was not having bought tickets in advance, the second, deciding to seperate into two groups, one who walked, a one who took a cab. Finding each other on the railway station proved not to be a laughing matter, but after much sweating, we managed. Beforehand we heard that there left about 70-80 trains for Nanjing each day(!), however, we did not know that they were all full. "I mean how many people can there be...?" So I boldly went to the counter and asked, in my rather sluggish mandarin, "Four tickets to Nanjing please". "Okay, next train with available seats leaves in six hours." was the reply.

By some heavly intervention however, I was saved by another foreigner. One with much better mandarin than myself. He was standing right next to me getting his stuff together after buying his ticket. And I mean, ANYONE that have been in China can tell you that you really don't see foreigners that often, and one that speaks mandarin no less! Thank God Almighty:) I think he was French, he looked French, I guess the Americans are wrong, the French ARE helpful ...Anyways, he had to really digg out the tickets though. First there were none, then I could stand at 17:00, and then I could stand and sit at 16:30, and then, by some miracle he found tickets on the train at 14:00, one hour from present time. That is China for ya! If its to much of a hassle, then they just don't care. Someone else will buy the tickets, sooner or later, its not like there isn't enough people...Ren shan ren hai, people mountain people sea, Chinese Chengyu. (Old four charachter sayings that has some moral og philosophical point.)

The train ride itself was pretty good. Express train going probably around 2-300 km/h, I am really not sure, but it was confortable. I must say I am suprised that I had to come to China to see the nicest train, and the nicest airplanes in my life.

Next, Nanjing:)

No comments:

Slideshow


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.